March 3, 2012

Low Carb Bread


I tried baking bread from scratch tonight for the first time, and I must say I am pleased with the results.  Although I was hoping for a lighter bread, one to make grilled cheese sandwiches with, this bread will be good for cold sandwiches, topped with butter, preserves, or even for garlic bread.

Once again, I modified the recipe because although I try to eat low carb, low fat, this bread is very low in carbs regardless of the slight modification of using real sugar instead of sugar substitute.

This recipe is great because it does not require the lengthy process of kneading and letting the bread rise.

Ingredients:

Original Recipe:

2 cups Atkins Cuisine All Purpose Baking Mix
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 packet sugar substitute ~ I used 2 tablespoons of sugar instead
1 1/8 cups water (1/8 cup water = 2 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons canola oil ~ substitute with olive oil, or other flavored oil.

My additions:

1/4 cup flax seed meal
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (for after it bakes, melted on top and sides)

Directions:

Heat over to 350, and prepare a bread pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.  Spray a plastic cutting board with cooking spray and set aside.
  1. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl with a spatula.
  2. Add oil and water, and mix slowly
  3. Coat hands with cooking spray (lightly), and transfer to plastic cutting board.
  4. Form dough into a loaf.
  5. Add to bread pan.
  6. Bake for 60 minutes.
  7. Allow to cool before slicing.
If you have an hour, you will enjoy this easy to make bread!  I will try this bread with other variations and let you know how it turns out.  Perhaps adding more seasoning and nuts.  

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment