May 3, 2012

Pizza! from Scratch!


I have never embarked on making my own pizza crust until tonight!  We were running low in the bread department and out of tortillas, so I decided to try my hand at yeast free pizza dough.  I usually shy away from processed flour, but given the situation of our pantry...I folded.  I was impressed how easy this is, and I know in the future I will try to create a full fresh flax crust.  The entire process took about 30 minutes per pizza (from mixing the dough to finished cooking).

No-yeast pizza dough:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup water

Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in a large bowl.  Make a cave in the center, add water and olive oil.  Mix ingredients with a spoon until it is kneading consistency.  Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until mixed.  Set aside.  It is ready to use.  I made two different batches.  One for each pizza.  The dough recipe makes a pizza about 12-14" round.  Pressed thin to about 1/4 inch.

Heat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit.  Bake for approximately 20 minutes.  These are thin crust pizzas.  They rise to about a 1/2 inch crust.  I imagine playing with different herbs and nuts to add to the dough and making it a low carb meal eventually.  For now.  Enjoy!  (I served it with side of marinara for dipping) yum.

Toppings:

First pizza Spinach:

Spinach leaves (from my garden)
Herb Goat Cheese
Bacon Bits
Mexican blend cheese
Mozzarella
Four cheese marinara








The second pizza - BBQ chicken style:


I added the BBQ Grill mates seasoning to the crust of this one as well, so the color of the crust is slightly orange.  You can work on this while the first pizza is cooking.

I sauteed three chicken tenderloins in a little olive oil and bbq dry seasoning by Grillmates.
Four cheese marinara
Mozzarella
Bacon bits


No comments:

Post a Comment